OS X 10.6 Snow LeopardI finally managed to update my Mac OS X 10.5 to the latest version - Snow Leopard. There is a lot of information about this on the web so I don't want to go into too much detail.
The basic upgrade via the CD was simple. No problems there. Except of the gained disk space and a slightly changed behavior of the dock items when you keep the mouse button pressed I actually haven't noticed anything outstanding yet.
Unfortunately, there were a few things which needed additional care after the upgrade:
- Java 5 is gone. Well, there is still a 1.5 symbolic link in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions, but it just point to the 1.6 JDK. WTF? As Java developer I needed my JDK 5 back. One way to solve this is described here.
- Next up was MacPorts. Given my addiction to command line tools I actually use a broad range of Unix tools on my Mac which I get via MacPorts. After the upgrade you have to completely replace your MacPorts installation :( The good news is that it is not too hard - see here. MacPorts needs Xcode installed. Unfortunately, the upgrade removes the old version without replacing it with the new. Instead you have to insert the Snow Leopard CD again and install Xcode from the optional package directory on the CD. While on it you should also reinstall Rosetta (also on the CD).
- The reason for reinstalling Rosetta is that without it TextMate stopped working.
Last, but not least, there are at the moment two programs I am aware of which don't work anymore and where I don't have a upgrade solution. Luckily both tools are not so important to me:
- Shimo (there might be an upgrade for them, but in Snow Leopard the network configuration options have changed so that I can use now the build in network manager)
- open on 2009-03-18
- Cycling application windows on Mac OS X on 2009-03-20
- Java programs as daemons on Mac OS X on 2009-10-05
- Avoid Dock icon for Java processes on Mac OS on 2009-10-05
- Hiding and viewing dot files in Mac's Finder on 2009-02-27
- JDiskReport. on 2009-09-07
- Using Mac's TextEdit from the command line on 2008-10-08
- Do I love it or hate it? on 2008-09-23
- Swollen MacBook Pro Battery on 2010-08-10
- Bits and pieces on 2010-07-18
- In the spotlight on 2010-04-30
- Mac Tips: Visor & TotalFinder on 2010-10-23
- Where are my sources? on 2010-11-04